With candid photography, you can capture memorable and meaningful moments in time. When you take candid photographs with your Nikon cameras, you can capture your subjects looking natural and at ease, doing what they normally do. Candid photography offers a behind-the-scenes look at every day life, and is great paired with more formal photography styles at events like weddings. Here are some tips for taking great candid shots with your Nikon cameras:
1. Never leave home without your camera – The best way to capture spontaneous moments is to take your compact digital cameras everywhere and be prepared to shoot. With your camera in tow, you’ll always be poised to snap great photos of family and friends.
2. Use a long zoom – Obviously, if you’re further away from your subject, the less they’ll notice your presence, so they’ll be more likely to act natural. A telephoto of long zoom lens allows you to get intimate shots while keeping your distance.
3. Forget the flash – A blinding flash can really kill a candid moment, so shoot with available light wherever possible. In lower light settings, increase your ISO setting, use a faster lens setting and open up your aperture on your Nikon cameras to let more light in.
4. Less is not more – When it comes to capturing candid moments with your Nikon cameras, less is not more. Shoot multiple images of a person or situation and you’ll increase your chances of getting the perfect candid shot.
5. Position yourself strategically – Think about what’s going to unfold and position yourself strategically so that you can capture the action from a great angle. If you’re shooting a wedding ceremony in a church, think about where people will be standing and facing so you can plan your best vantage points in advance.
6. Capture people doing things – Capture your subjects doing things they love – perhaps it’s gardening, painting, knitting, or stroking their cat. When your subject is focused on his or her hobbies and normal activities, you’ll have a better chance of capturing natural shots.
7. People, people and more people – Photographing people with people is a great way to get candid shots with your Nikon cameras. When you capture people in pairs or groups, you’ll capture a wide variety of facial expressions, emotions and responses.
8. Play with perspective – Candid photography is off-beat, so don’t think you need to use formal, traditional methods of composition. Crouch down, get up high on a chair, shoot from a side angle, zoom in and out – these are all great ways to get unique, candid shots.
Remember, candid photography with your Nikon cameras is not about taking secret, voyeuristic shots of people without their permission, like a paparazzi photographer, but rather capturing people that you know doing every day things. Happy snapping!